Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the Central Collections Unit (“CCU”)?
    • Rhode Island General Laws § 42-142-1 establishes a central collections unit within the Department of Revenue (“DOR”) charged with assisting state agencies in the collection of certain statutorily designated debts owed to the state. 
    • Created in 2018, the Central Collections Unit’s (“CCU”) sole mission is to track and collect delinquent debts owed to Rhode Island state agencies in the most cost-effective manner while employing the highest professional standards.
  • What can I expect in the collection process?
    • The referring agency is required to send a Notice of Intent to Refer to you at least 30 days prior to sending a debt to the CCU. The notice provides an opportunity for you to contact the agency to resolve the obligation prior to referral.
    • If you do not contact the agency, the debt is referred and the CCU creates a collection case for the debt and interest begins to accrue at eighteen (18%) per annum.  A Notice of Referred Debt is sent with contact information and a payment voucher.  Once the debt is referred to the CCU, all payments must be made to the CCU. 
  • I received a collections notice from the CCU.  How can I set up a payment arrangement?
    • To see if you are eligible for a payment arrangement, please fill out the Installment Agreement Form on the website and contact the CCU at 401-574-8791 or email at
    • If you would prefer, you can contact the Administrative Officer listed on your notice. 
  • I have moved to another address.  What should I do to update my mailing information?
  • What methods of payment are accepted?
    • The CCU accepts checks and money orders by mail.  Please mail payments with your payment voucher to:

      RI CCU
      1 Capitol Hill,
      Providence, RI 02908

    • If payment is made in person, the CCU also accepts credit cards.  To make a payment with cash or a credit card, please visit our office located on the first floor of 1 Capitol Hill, Providence, RI.
  • Who do I notify if I have filed bankruptcy?
    • Please notify the CCU and the referring agency in the event that bankruptcy is filed. The CCU will stop collection actions until the bankruptcy has been discharged. If the debt survives bankruptcy, the CCU will resume collections.


Divisions & Offices

+ Central Collections Unit
  • Central Collections Unit
  • Phone: 401-574-8791
  • Email CCU
+ Lottery
  • Division of Lottery
  • Gerald Aubin, Director
  • Phone: (401) 463-6500
  • Fax: (401) 463-5669
  • Website
+ Motor Vehicles
  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Walter R. Craddock, Administrator
  • Phone: (401) 462-5705
  • Fax: (401) 462-5784
  • Website
+ Municipal Finance
  • Division of Municipal Finance
  • Stephen E. Coleman Jr., Chief
  • Phone: (401) 574-9918
  • Fax: (401) 574-9912
  • Website
+ Revenue Analysis
  • Office of Revenue Analysis
  • Paul L. Dion Ph.D, Chief
  • Phone: (401) 574-8999
  • Fax: (401) 574-8997
+ Taxation
  • Division of Taxation
  • Neena S. Savage, Tax Administrator
  • Phone: (401) 574-8922
  • Fax: (401) 574-8917
  • Website